Friday 9 October 2009

LOW CARB PIZZA CRUST

I found this recipe on a Norwegian low-carb forum (Lavkarbo.no) and decided to give it a go today. I have included the YouTube video that the original poster quoted as her source at the bottom of this post.

2 eggs
1 tbsp full fat cream
1/2 ts baking powder
1/2 cup grated cheese
1 tbsp oil
2 tbsp low-carb baking mix

(I didn't have any baking mix, so instead I used 15g of soy-/whey protein plus a tbsp of psyllium husk fibre)

Mix all the ingredients well and spread thinly onto a greased baking tray. Bake at 225 °C for about 10 minutes. Then add whatever toppings you fancy, and bake until the cheese is golden.

The bases after baking. I halved the above portion, and it made two small portion sized pizzas:


With topping - home made tomato sauce, fried minced beef, olives, mushrooms and cheese for me today:


After a further 5 minutes in the oven:


The result? Not bad, however I would have preferred it to be less spongy/eggy, and more doughy/breadlike. Something I will do differently next time is to spread the mixture even thinner, that might help make it feel less spongy. Also, because I can't eat a lot of eggs (du to an intolerance) I will try and experiment until I find a way to make low-carb pizza crust without egg - if I manage to get a decent result, I'll be back with the recipe, I promise!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hello and congratulations on your progress.
Have you tried Portabello mushroom pizza? I love it and could eat it all the time. It's simple to make.
Take stem off a large portabello. Lightly spread some olive oil on both sides, I like some garlic mixed in too. Bake 10 minutes at 400 with smooth side up. FLIP and top with what you would like and bake another 10 mins. Enjoy