Friday 17 July 2009

Going public

I knew I had put on weight after splitting with my partner, but I wasn't prepared for just how much. In January 2009 I stepped on the scales and saw a terrifying 85 kg (187 lbs). That's a lot for a person as short as I am, and gave me a BMI of 33.2, placing me firmly in the Obese category. In a year I had put on 12 kg (26 lbs), and I was already overweight in the first place.

Something had to be done!

In the 7 months that have passed since then, I have lost 7.8 kg (17 lbs). But in the last three months I have been at a bit of a standstill, with motivation running low - and so I am going public in an attempt to shift up a gear. This is where I am at right now - happy to see that the skirt that was very tight at x-mas now has quite a bit of room to spare:



Start weight: 85 kg / 187 lbs - BMI 33.2
Current weight: 77.2 kg / 170 lbs - BMI 30.1
Goal weight: 60 kg / 132 lbs - BMI 23.4

Loss this week: - 0.3 kg / 0.6 lbs
Total loss so far: 7.8 kg / 17 lbs (since 01.01.2009)
Weight left to lose: 17.2 kg / 38 lbs

2 comments:

Chelsea said...

Good for you! I linked here from your craft blog (which is awesome) and since you asked here are some things that have helped me:
1. having a walking buddy
2. I don't keep junk food, cookies etc. in the house because I know I can't resist them. I make sure that if I want to eat it is either a handy piece of fruit or vegetable or I actually have to cook something.
3. When I do have I treat I make sure it is nice. For example 1 pint of expensive ice cream lasts me as long as a quart of cheaper stuff but I eat less of it at eat sitting.
4. Eat less meat (or none) eat more beans, rice. Lentils are a great food if you want some good lentil recipes I have some good ones.
5. For me this one was most important: Do not eat so little or so "healthy" that you don't enjoy your food or are hungry all the time. Don't cut out all treats and junk food. Don't exercise so that it hurts. Start slow, walk a mile a day. Make sure that your diet is sustainable long term.

Margrethe said...

Jeg fant bloggen din gjennom lavkarbo og tenkte jeg måtte skrive en hilsen. Som hobbyfreak leste jeg først hobbybloggen, deretter denne bloggen. Du minner mye om meg selv, bortsett fra at du har et barn da :) Samboeren min gikk fra meg i fjor høst og da kom kiloene på igjen. Nå tør jeg ikke veie meg, men jeg har sikkert gått opp omtrent det samme 12-15 kilo (jeg tør ikke en gang å veie meg!)på et år. Kun min egen feil, men nå er jeg iallefall i gang og håper og snu det :)

Lykke til!