Wednesday 22 July 2009

SUGAR IS MY DRUG...

...and protein helps me stay "clean"... I am such a sugar- and white carbs addict it is unreal. The "no carbs" diets are a bit too extreme for me, but I do find eating more slow carbs, plenty of protein and even (gasp!) more healthy fats really help curb my carb cravings. I hardly eat "normal" bread anymore for this reason, and also because bread makes me really bloated - I don't know if it's the yeast or the wheat that is the culprit. I also always eat the skin on potatoes, and choose wholegrain pasta and wild rice over the processed stuff.



This combination of slow carbs and a relatively high amount of protein means my blood sugar stays nice and even and I avoid the worst rollercoaster rides of blood sugar spikes and the following crashes. That's not to say I don't cave in to the odd choccy bar or carb fest, and that is OK, as long as I get back on track again afterwards.

Today's food:
  • No breakfast (I know... shame on me!)
  • Bread roll with smoked salmon, cream cheese and egg (lunch out today, hence carb laden bread roll...)
  • Steak with oven roasted sweet potato, red pepper and onions, sprinkled with balsamico and served with a tsp of sour cream (coming up on "Friday Feast" on MBP this week!)
  • Watermelon
  • Smoothie with banana, raspberries, blueberries and protein powder (see photo above - YUM!)
TOTAL: approx 1400 kcal

(Not sure about the exact cals in my lunch so have overestimated a bit just in case!)

No comments: