Things I avoid:
- Anything with grains in it - bread, pasta, rice, cous cous, porridge, cereals, sauces thickened with maizena or flour...
- Starchy vegetables - potatoes, carrots, parsnips, sweetcorn and such
- Anything with sugar in it (obviously)
- Dairy products - all full fat versions
- Artificially sweetened stuff - like a sugar free choccie bar at weekends, and the odd bottle of coke zero
- Protein - meat, poultry, fish, shellfish, eggs, protein powder
- Fats - real butter, oils, mayonnaise (again, no margarine or "light" products
- Vegetables that grow above the ground - cabbage, broccoli, cauliflower, asparagus, courgettes, aubergines, mushrooms, spinach, cucumber, olives, all kinds of salad leaves +++
I've been experimenting with alternatives to the food I have stopped eating, and have found some substitutes for potatoes and pasta, that I want to share with you:
- Cauliflower puree is an excellent alternative to mashed potato. Simply boil, drain, and use a hand-held blender to mash to a smooth puree, with a bit of butter, salt and pepper
- Grated cauliflower, either microwaved with a tablespoon of water, or shallow fried, is a great alternative to rice. Add spices and seasoning as desired.
- Courgette is fast becoming a favourite veg here. I slice it thin with a cheese slicer and use instead of pasta sheets for lasagne, or slice it into long thin strips with my V-slicer and use instead of spaghetti.