Sunday 26 July 2009

HEALTHY FOOD DOESN'T HAVE TO BE BORING

Take your average porridge for instance. Not very inspiring eh? Well do something about it then!



We've just had the yummiest porridge, and all I did was cook the porridge oats with water according to the directions on the pack, add a pinch of salt, a sprinkle of ground cloves, a mashed banana (for sweetness without using sugar), some oat bran for extra fibre and some sunflower-, sesame- and linseeds. I then sprinkled some cinnamon on top. Ruben is not a big fan of seeds so I saved him a portion before I mixed those in. Result: we both loved it!

Soups are another great "diet" food. Nutricious, yet low in calories - unless you add loads of cream and stuff of course! I made a batch of curried cauliflower soup just now:



I put two whole cauliflowers into a pot and added enough water to almost cover the cauli. I then added 2 stock cubes, some mild madras curry powder and some freshly ground black pepper - cooked it until tender and blitzed in a blender until smooth, then added 300 ml of skimmed milk. That made about 1.2 litres of soup, so about 4 portions. And at about 110 kcal per portion (yes REALLY, I kid you not!) it's gonna fill you up without piling the pounds on! Yummy and healthy - I'm looking forward to a portion for supper after I have done my shred for today!

1 comment:

Mummybuttons said...

I just love cauli soup yummmmm